Friday, December 14, 2012

goodbye new york city . . . for now

 
Well, I am on a plane heading back to Alabama this morning. I can't even tell you how sad that makes me. I have grown to love the city. This whole journey has been one bumpy roller coaster that was scary, thrilling, and a ride that I never wanted to end.
Looking back, it's funny to see the transformation in my love/hate relationship with New York.
In the beginning, I was captured by the bright lights, loud noises, and the excitement {along with dehydration and the worst foot cramps from walking everywhere}. I just started this really awesome internship where I got to meet some incredibly talented and lovely ladies. They were so welcoming and eager to answer any of my questions {note: I ask a lot of questions. And by a lot, I mean a copious amount.}
Then after a couple weekends, I started missing elements from my southern living. Like fresh air, driving my car to the grocery store or to a friends house, having my "local" spots. The crowds were so large, so many different people that spoke different languages, the tourists, the funny smell in the air, and the noise. Every night Kate and I would talk about the future {yeah we know, totally ridiculous}, but you couldn't get us out any quicker. I was done with it all and totally over the New York life.
The next couple weekends we had friends and family come in to town. It was so refreshing to see their faces! Taking them to the "local" places we stumbled upon was so fun! We were just now learning the places to go and the crowds to hang around. Each weekend kept getting better and better {except for the one where UA lost to those damn Aggies}.
When I left the office last night, I was truly sad to go. I kept stalling to go out the door. I made some wonderful new friends and I sure hope I get to see them soon!
I do have to say though, visiting and living here is two totally different things. I've got a lot of grief from people who just didn't understand why I wanted to leave so bad. Talking with friends from my internship program and the ladies at work, I have learned the key to living here is to find a place to live that best suites you. I want more of a homey place to escape from the busy streets.
What's next? Well, your guess is as good as mine. Over the last month I grew from hating to loving this city. It has a special place in my heart right now and forever. But, I am praying that I will return in January after the new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment