Thursday, May 16, 2013

a pretty kitchen + french toast


I'd like to make an announcement that you probably already know: I have a thing for white kitchens. And yes, one day when I have my own it will be white and have tulips on the table. They're so fresh and so clean. Beside the point of my white kitchen love affair, I have to tell y'all a story. One of my favorite things about work is meeting cute little kiddos. I met this handsome, young three year old yesterday that was as cute as a button and what a talker he was! Seriously, he just chatted with me for at least thirty minutes. And what did we discuss? His love for breakfast food, ha! Every morning his mom makes him bacon, eggs, and grits and if she leaves off anything from that list? He is one not so happy kiddo, ha! And so I brought up a suggestion of trying my favorite breakfast . . . French toast. And then he asked me what it was and how to make it - he totally was taking in every word I said and I'm pretty sure this genius is going to become the next Bobby Flay.

I like to keep it real simple when it comes to my French toast {read: invite friends over for a French toast brunch when I've had a loaf of bread for a while.} For real though, it's incredibly easy to make, the kitchen smells like sweet syrup and cinnamon, and your bellies are full from fresh berries and laughter when you're done. Did I mention mimosas? Yep, brunch is never brunch without a good old-fashioned mimosa {exchange out the bubbly with ginger ale if you'd prefer it that way}!


1 loaf of white bread {I prefer a loaf that I cut myself}
2 eggs, beaten
3 tbsp. milk {any kind, I prefer 1% or 2%}
Cinnamon, to your liking
Syrup
2 cups of berries {strawberry, blueberry, raspberry}

Cut your bread into half-inch slices {store bought is just fine}. Combine your eggs and milk and beat until mixed together. Take one slice of bread and dredge in your egg/milk combo. While one side is still in the egg/milk combo, sprinkle with cinnamon to your liking. I go a little heavy since I love cinnamon. Put the cinnamon side down on a skillet set at medium temperature. Sprinkle the other side with cinnamon. Cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until golden and the egg is cooked through - careful not to burn it! Flip, and cook the other side for about 2 minutes. Repeat until each bread slice is done. Serve with warmed syrup and fresh berries on top and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ohh goodness, I love white kitchens too!! And I'm excited to try the French toast - looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete