Thursday, April 18, 2013

a shift dress

I've been pretty persuaded the last couple of years in buying shift dresses. Why? Because they are incredibly versatile, great for layering, and are perfect for transitioning from day to night or weekend to formal event. I've gathered 3 different dresses and sharing my take on casual and dressy outfits - perfect for any occasion this spring and summer!
 
The Neutral
The foundation for any dress collection {hello twenty black dresses in my closet) is a great neutral. I typically lean towards gray and black since I am prone to spill something if I'm wearing white, ha! For a casual look, pair your neutral with open-toed sandals and a chic baseball cap. Swap out your accessories for a fancier take on this shift. How about pretty drop earrings and a colorful clutch?
a shift for the weekend

a shift for the evening


The Bold
 Red dresses have always been sexy to me. Call it a power color if you will. I'm trying to incorporate more color in to my wardrobe and I think this will be the start. Pairing this red number with tennis shoes seems unfathomable to some, but wouldn't this be great for running to the fresh market or farmer's stand this weekend (welcome back humid 80 degree weather and an abundance of fresh strawberries)? Make it date night appropriate by switching into black lace-up sandals and a leopard clutch.
a shift-y weekend

red + leopard

 
The Printed
The epitome of summer perfection is accentuated with fun prints and patterns. Whenever I put a pretty print on, it's an instant mood changer. They make you feel lighter and brighter. Last summer I spent many early afternoons stationed at the park reading a good book. So before I leave in the mornings this year, I'll be sure to put on a pretty dress to start the day off right. With printed shift ensembles for a bridal tea shower, it's best to keep the rest of your outfit basic. You don't want to go overboard since the dress itself is the show-stopper. Easily pair it with matching heels and a nude lip.
 
a shift and a book

a shift for the night

No comments:

Post a Comment